Are you a HELB beneficiary? If so, you are required to back the loan after completing the studies. It is an offense if you fail to pay back the loan, and you can be jailed. Do you know you can pay your HELB loan through Mpesa?
Hence the reason the Ministry of Education in Kenya through HELB has come up with a convenient way of paying your mortgage through Mpesa.
One way or another, HELB loan helped you, and for the government to help another person, you must repay your loan.
The benefits you enjoyed when you’re offered the credit will only be experienced by another student when you repay the loan.
HELB gives you one year after studies completion to start paying the loan.
It doesn’t matter if you are employed or not like any other loan you should start paying the loan after it matures to avoid penalties.
Read also: How To Pay GOtv Using M-Pesa.
What You Need To Know About HELB Loan Payment In Kenya
HELB is initial, which stands for Higher Education Loan Board. The board was established following the Kenyan parliament Act Cap 213A in 1995.
It is among the state corporations under the Ministry of Education.
The establishment of this board aimed to raise funds, issue to students, and recover the matured loans.
According to the HELB Act of 1995, the board was to establish the Debt management Department solemnly to recover matured loans.
HELB categorized their loan, and whoever is qualified is urged to apply if he or she needs financial support.
You are required to start paying the loan within one year of completion of studies in regards to Section 15 HELB Act.
It is significant to start making voluntary payments even before the end of studies if you are capable of reducing your loan balance.
The board has established many different repayment methods to facilitate the repayment in regards to the loaner.
Both employed and self-employed loanees can repay their loans through mobile payments like M-Pesa and Airtel.
Any private and public entity adopts the Mpesa payment method, and HELB is no exception. Mpesa is an easy, cheaper, safer, and secure way of paying for products and services from your mobile phone, and making payment of your unpaid HELB loans using Mpesa.
Besides Mpesa, there are also other forms of loan repayment, including cash deposit to HELB collection and EFT via most banks in Kenya.
M-Pesa is a straightforward and useful service that can be used by students to repay their HELB loans.
With only a few clicks, you can pay your HELB loan anywhere anytime.
The question is, do you know how to pay a HELB loan via Mpesa?
Don’t worry if you don’t know the answer is in this article.
See also: How to Use M-Pesa With PayPal In Kenya.
Steps To Pay HELB Via Mpesa In Kenya
To pay your HELB loan, you need to have your ID with you, and you have topped up your Mpesa account. If you have them ready follow these steps to pay your HELB loan using your Mpesa account:
- Go to your mobile phone apps select Sim Toolkit.
- Select the M-Pesa menu.
- Then click on Lipa Na Mpesa.
- Then select the Pay Bill option.
- You will be prompted to enter the business number.
- Enter HELB business number 200800 then click ok button.
- Now, you will be requested to enter “account number” then enter your National ID Number as your account number.
- Enter the amount of money you intend to pay.
- Enter your M-Pesa PIN.
- Make sure you counter-check the details you entered; to ensure they are correct.
- Press on the send button to pay your HELB loan via Mpesa account.
Remember, like another loan you are required to pay, HELB requires you to back their loan.
Failure to pay the loan may force them to send your details to CRB, which means you will not be able to access loans from any money rendering organization.
Also, the HELB certificate is a requirement when applying for jobs.
Through Mpesa, you can make the payment at the comfort of your home, no need to go to the bank.
So why not pay your HELB loan via Mpesa now?
The payments will be processed within three working days and will be reflected in your HELB portal.
Remember, the payments are made before the 15th of each month early and make the payments today so that the money can help another student.
Related guide: Steps To Send Money From M-Pesa To Your Skrill Account.
Who Qualifies For HELB Loan
The following people are eligible for HELB loan:
- Students who are in public TVET institutions (Technical, Vocational, And Education Training).
- You also qualify for HELB loan if your school or institution must be recognized by the Kenya Ministry of Education (MoE).
- The institution may also be a member of the Kenya Association of Technical Institutions (KATTI).
- Your placement must also be done by the Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS).
- Direct entry self-sponsored students in the TVET institutions also qualify for the HELB loan in Kenya.
- Students in the faith-based medical training schools and mid-level medical training colleges recognized by the Kenya Ministry of Education are also eligible for the HELB loan under AEF.
These are some of the people who are eligible for HELB.
See this also: HELB M-Pesa Paybill Number.
Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) Customer Care Contacts
There are instances where you will need help from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) in Kenya. If that is the case, then you can follow the information provided in this guide.
To contact HELB customer care in Kenya, you need to follow these steps below:
Office location: On the 19th floor of Anniversary Towers, along University Way in Nairobi.
Postal address: P.O. Box 69489-00400, Nairobi, Kenya.
If you want to contact the HELB office in Nairobi, then call these telephone numbers: +254 711 052000, 254 20 2278000.
Another way to contact Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) is through their website here: http://www.helb.co.ke/.
Here is their Twitter page: https://twitter.com/HELBpage.
Here is the HELB Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HELBpage/.
This M-Pesa Guide was Last Updated on August 23, 2020 by mpesa admin